(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Pennsylvania Museum Bulletin. Number 57, January 1917"

^nmsilitomatlllli^^ 




^5MI«l«l 



t * ^ 



1- f'^$$mm^W^ 



Batatcd Ava« 27. 19«. M VidU<WpUi> P«k. w Snead-Ckw Utitw. lUMkr A<t of Opogtw a« Mr !«• M"^ 



PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



Xoar^ of tTrueteee 



The Governor of the State, Ex-Of. 



The Mayor 



Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg 
Charles Bond 
James Butterworth 
John G. Carruth 
Harrington Fitzgerald 
Mrs. Henry S. Grove 
John Gribbel 
Charles H. Harding 



Thomas Skelton Harrison 
John Story Jenks 
Gustav Ketterer 
John H. McFadden 
John D. McIlhenny 
Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs 
John W. Pepper 



®rf(cer0 



OF THE City, Ex-Of. 
Walter H. Rossmassler 
Theodore C. Search 
Edgar V. Seeler 
Mrs. Joseph P. Sinnott 
Edward T. Stotesbury 
James F. Sullivan 
William Wood 



Vice-Presidents 



THEODORE C. SEARCH, President 

JOHN STORY JENKS, 

JOHN G. CARRUTH, 

JAMES BUTTERWORTH, Treasurer 

LESLIE W. MILLER, Secretary, Principal of the School 



I, } 



SARA YORKE STEVENSON, Editor 



Bulletin 

jfov Januanp, nineteen IHun&reD ant) Seventeen 
CONTENTS 

PAGB 

In Memoriam. Edwin AtLee Barber, A.M., Ph.D 1 

The Exhibition of English and American Furniture. By Sara Y. Stevenson 4 

Handsome Gift of Valuable Jewelry. By Sara Y. Stevenson ... 6 

Half Suit of Armor of the Late Sixteenth Century. By Cornelius Stevenson 8 

Two Valuable Japanese Bronze Figures. By Sara Y. Stevenson ... 10 

Removal to the Parkway. By Leslie W. Miller 12 

School Notes 13 

Accessions IS 



BULLETIN 

OF 

THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

JANUARY, 1917 FIFTEENTH YEAR Number 57 

IN MEMORIAM 



Edwin AtLee Barber, A.M., Ph.D. 
Bom August 13, 1851. Died December 12, 1916. 

The Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art has to record a 
grievous loss, in the death of Dr. Edwin AtLee Barber, the Director of the 
Museum, who passed away on December 12, 1916. 

At a meeting of the Museum Committee of the Board of Trustees, held on 
January 2, 1917, Mr. John Story Jenks, chairman, in the chair, the following 
resolutions were unanimously adopted as embodying the feelings of Dr. Bar- 
ber's associates and co-workers : 

"Whereas, In the death of Dr. Edwin AtLee Barber, which occurred 
on December 12, 1916, the Museum has lost a most valuable officer; and 

"Whereas, In the fifteen years of his service as Director of the Museum 
and Secretary of the Corporation, he showed himself scrupulously accurate 
in his work, and gave his entire time and such acquirements as he pos- 
sessed to the discharge of his duties, devoting himself especially to the 
department of English and American ceramics, of which he had made a 
special study, giving much of his attention to Mexican maiolica, Pennsyl- 
vania-Dutch, and German and English manufactures; and 

"Whereas, Methodical in his habits and sincerely devoted to his 
trust, with no desire other than a single-minded pursuit of his chosen work 
as collector and curator, the institution of which he was the head pro- 
ceeded safely and quietly, under his guidance, along the lines marked for 
its development; therefore, be it 

"Resolved, That we, his colleagues who have been associated with him 
for many years, deeply deplore his removal from our midst, feeling that his 
place cannot readily be filled, and that in his death the Institution has met 
with a grievous loss. Also be it 




EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, A.M., Ph.D. 

Director of the Pennsylvania Museum. 
Born August 13, 1851. Died December 12, 1916. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 3 

"Resolved, That we wish to extend the expression of our most pro- 
found sympathy to his widow and daughter in their great sorrow, and that 
the Acting Secretar}? be and is hereby instructed to spread these resolutions 
at length upon the minutes of this meeting, and to send a copy thereof to 
Mrs. Barber." 

Edwin At Lee Barber was born in Baltimore, Md., August 13, 1851. He is 
the eldest son of the late William Edwin Barber, Esq., and Anne E. Townsend 
Barber of West Chester, Pa. ; grandson of John Barber, first superintendent of 
the Columbia and Philadelphia Railroad (1829-1833); great-grandson of James 
Barber, a captain in the Revolutionary war; great-great-grandson of Colonel 
Samuel John AtLee of the Pennsylvania State Battalion of Musketry, who was 
taken prisoner by the British at the Battle of Long Island, on August 27, 1776. 

Mr. Barber went to West Chester, Pa., with his father in 1857, after having 
resided for a short time in Davenport, Iowa, and here his preliminar\^ educa- 
tion was received in the Orthodox Friends' and the public schools. In 1868 
he entered Williston Seminary, East Hampton, Mass., where he pursued an 
English course of studies, graduating in 1869. He then entered Lafayette Col- 
lege, class of 1873, where he continued his studies until 1872. The College 
conferred upon him the degree of Master of Arts in 1880 and, in 1893, that of 
Doctor of Philosophy. 

Mr. Barber was appointed Assistant Naturalist on the United States 
Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories in 1874, and in 1875 
he accompanied a portion of the same Survey into the ancient ruin districts 
of southwestern Colorado and the adjacent territory in LTtah and Arizona, as 
special correspondent for. the New York Herald. From 1879 to 1885 he occupied 
the position of Superintendent of the West Philadelphia post office, and was 
Chairman and Secretary of the United States Civil Service Examining Board for 
the Philadelphia post office. 

In 1879 he was appointed Chief of the Department of Archseolog}' of the 
Permanent Exhibition in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, an honorary position, 
and in 1892 was made Honorary Curator of the new Department of American 
Pottery and Porcelain at the Pennsylvania Museum, Philadelphia. 

On February 5, 1880, Mr. Barber was married to Miss Nellie Louise Parker, 
daughter of the late Major William H. Parker, of the United States Marine 
Corps, and of Mary Louise Young Parker. 

For several years Mr. Barber was one of the associate editors of the Amer- 
ican Antiquarian. In 1885 he established and edited The Museum, an illustrated 
journal for collectors and young naturalists, of which, however, for lack of 
sufficient support, only four numbers were issued. 

In 1901 he was elected Curator of the Pennsylvania Museum and Secre- 
tary of the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art, and in 1907 
he became Director of the Pennsylvania Museum. 

Dr. Edwin AtLee Barber was a member of: 

The American Philosophical Society ; 

The Numismatic and Antiquarian Society of Philadelphia; 



4 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

Corresponding member of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 

and of The Virginia Historical Society; 
Socio Corresponsal de la Sociedad Mexicana de Historia Natviral; 
Membre Correspondant Etranger de la Societe d'Anthropologie de 

Paris ; 
The English Ceramic Society; 
The International Committee of the Ceramic Museum of Faenza, 

Italy; 
The Waipole Society; 

Corresponding member of the Hispanic Society of America ; 
The Society of Sons of the Revolution. 

He was collaborator of the new edition of the Century Dictionary. 

Dr. Barber catalogued numerous collections of ceramics, both public and 
private, among which may be mentioned the following: Pennsjdvania Museum, 
Philadelphia, Pa.; Boston Museum of Fine Arts; Essex Institute, Salem, Mass.; 
Wadsworth Athenaeum, Hartford, Conn.; Art Institute, Chicago, 111.; Hispanic 
Museum, New York; A'lrs. Robert W. de Forest, New York (Mexican Maiolica) 
Miss Maude L. Buckingham, Chicago, 111. (Lustre ware) ; W. S. Hill, New York 
Dr. Pleasant Hunter, Newark, N. J.; Mrs. Miles White, Jr., Baltimore, Md. 
Albany, N. Y.; Providence, R. I.; Tuxedo Park, N. Y. 



THE EXHIBITION OF ENGLISH AND AMERICAN FURNITURE 

The Exhibition of English and American Furniture of the sixteenth, seven- 
teenth, eighteenth and the early nineteenth centuries, which was held in Novem- 
ber, 1916, began to be dismantled about December first, some of the loans having 
been called in. In itself the collection was a notable one, and the number of 
visitors which it attracted to the Pennsylvania Museum, Memorial Hall, was 
very large. On the opening daj^, the number of guests who attended the recep- 
tion reached 429; and throughout the period when the exhibition remained on 
view, the attendance ran into man^^ thousands. The identifying and packing 
of the pieces of furniture loaned occupied considerable time, but was approach- 
ing completion when Dr. Edwin AtLee Barber was stricken down with double 
pneumonia and died four days later on December twelfth. The work of dis- 
mantling the loan collection, however, was well under way when this lamentable 
e\'ent took place, and the Museum's assistants had no difficulty in carrying it 
to successful completion. The last was returned on January sixth, as far as 
is known, without damage. Also the retuni of the objects from time to time 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 5 

loaned the Museum by Dr. Barber have been located, identified and will shortly 
be rettimed to Mrs. Barber at her request. 

These loan exhibitions are of serious value not only to the Museum and 
the students of the School of Industrial Art, but to the collectors of the country 
whom they keep informed as to the objects worthy of study to be seen in this 
part of the world. In connection with them a catalogue of the pieces placed on 
view is published, with illustrations of the major pieces, and is sent broadcast 
to the museums and institutions interested in such things, so that even those 
collectors who cannot attend the exhibition itself get an idea of where, if need 
be, they can in the future see and study the best originals in each class. 

To the students and amateurs of the locality? it goes without saying that 
they are of the highest value, affording them the opportunity of seeing the very 
best authentic examples of their class, most of which being privately owned are 
virtually out of their reach. 

The thanks of the trustees and officers of the Pennsylvania Museum are 
due and hereby tendered to the following owners of valuable specimens, who 
so generously cooperated with them in organizing the exhibition. 

Mrs. Edwin AtLee Barber, West Chester, Pa. 

Mr. Francis Hill Bigelow, Cambridge, Mass. 

Mr. Dwight Blaney, Boston, Mass. 

Mrs. John H. Brinton, Philadelphia, Pa. 

Mr. and Mrs. Hampton L. Carson, Philadelphia, Pa. 

The Chapman Decorative Company, Philadelphia, Pa. 

Mr. HoUis French, Boston, Mass. 

Mrs. William D. Frishmuth, Philadelphia, Pa. 

Mr. and Mrs. Harrold E. Gillingham, Germantown, Pa. 

Mrs. Charles C. Harrison, St. Davids, Pa. 

Miss Anna Hazen Howell, Germantown, Pa. 

Mr. John D. Mcllhenny, Germantown, Pa. 

Mrs. Frederick Thurston Mason, Philadelphia, Pa. 

Mr. William B. Montague, Norristown, Pa. 

Mr. James A. Murphey, Germantown, Pa. 

Mr. Albert H. Pitkin, Hartford, Conn. 

Dr. A. S. W. Rosenbaeh, Philadelphia. Pa. 

Mr. T. H. Shoemaker, Germantown, Pa. 

Mr. Cornelius Stevenson, Philadelphia, Pa. 

Mr. Adrien F. Wellens, Mt. Airy, Pa. 

Mrs. Miles White, Jr., Baltimore, Md. 

Mr. Charles F. Williams, Norristown, Pa. 

Mrs. John Wister, Germantown, Pa. 

Miss Elizabeth Woodville, Philadelphia, Pa. 

S. Y. S. 



6 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

HANDSOME GIFT OF VALUABLE JEWELRY 

Hon. Thomas Skelton Harrison has presented the Pennsylvania Museum 
and School of Industrial Art with some remarkable pieces of jewelr3^ once the 
property' of the late Mrs. Harrison. The latter, in her will, in which she left 
her property to her husband, indicated her desire that certain of her posses- 
sions should go to the Museum, in which she took a lively interest. And Mr. 
Harrison, anxious to carry out his wife's wishes during his lifetime, has sent 
over a superb necklace, a gold and jeweled ej^eglass case, and two extremely 
interesting "zarfs" which belonged to Princess Fuad, the daughter of the 
famous Ismail Pasha, the first Khedive of Egypt. 

These ' ' zarfs ' ' are cup-holders of gold and delicate enamel work disposed in 
medallions of flowers with a border of crescent-shaped tops half encircling 




"Z.\RFS." 
Ex.\MEL .\ND Dl.\MOXDS. 

Once the propertjr of Ismail, First Khedive of Egypt. 
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Skelton Harrison. 



clusters of five old-cut diamonds. It would seem that Mrs. Harrison at the 
time when her husband was Consul-General and Diplomatic Agent in Cairo, 
knew many of the Egv^ptian ladies of high degree, notably Princess Fuad. One 
afternoon, when \dsiting the Princess, she admired these "zarfs" as coffee was 
brought in, as is the custom, instead of tea. With true oriental magnificence, 
the Princess told her that she would send her as a souvenir the two which 
they were using. This she did through the Marchese Maffei di Boglia, acting for 
Prince Fuad. These "zarfs," therefore, evoke memories of Old Ismail and of 
his splendors in his halcyon days. They and the like of them, mayhap, helped 
toward bringing Eg^-pt into bankruptcy! 

Ismail Pasha, who became Vali of Egypt in 1863 and later induced the 
Sultan of Turkey to raise his dignity to that of Khedive, had been educated in 
France and was brilliantly profuse in his mode of living and his expenditures, 
for a time reviving Egypt's ancient glories! The fetes with which he celebrated 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



the opening of the Suez Canal are still memorable and will remain legendary. 
No expense was spared. Verdi composed "Aida" for the occcasion, and that 
was staged, they say, with marvelous magnificence and all possible local color. 

Then he became insolvent, sold his shares in the Canal to Great Britain 
and thus gave England control. After 
this he plotted with Arabi and encour- 
aged the National movement which 
resiolted, after many tribulations, in Eng- 
land and France assuming the reins of 
government, for it was found that, even 
then, Germany and Austria were prepar- 
ing to take a hand. Of course, it was 
Ismail's encouragement of Arabi and his 
introduction of swarms of concession 
hunters that precipitated the movement 
that led to the European intervention, to 
the establishment of the "Caisse de la 
Dette," and to the final control of Great 
Britain in the Nile Valley. 

It is therefore especially as a souven'r 
of the man who is responsible for thece 
important events that the "zarfs" just 
presented to the Museum are of such value, 
as the Princess Fuad told Mrs. Harrison 
at the time that they had belonged to her 
father the great IChedive. 

Intrinsically, however, the superb 
necklace which Mr. Harrison has pre- 
sented to the Museum is of much greater 
value. It consists of a light gold chain 
with twenty-eight small rubies, emeralds 
and diamonds, from which depend two 
large and wonderful beetles. The closed 
wings of these are each composed of one 
large ribbed emerald. The heads are large 
diamonds. The bodies and the legs are 
studded with small diamonds set in gold. 
They probabli^ were originally long pendent 
earrings. If so, they must have been most 
painful to wear, for they are large and 
heavy. 

The lorgnon case of gold, studded with thirty sapphires, rubies and dia- 
monds, also is of intrinsic value. A large porcelain-glaze scarab is inset at the 
bottom of the case, and above the vulture, which formed the headdress of 
goddesses and queens, appears. The body of the vulture is one turquoise, the 
wings are of cloisonne enamel in imitation of the famous jewelry of the Twelfth 
Dynasty found in the Pyramids of Dashur by M. de Morgan, although diamonds. 




Gold Eyegl.\ss Case. 

Enamel cloisonne. Border of Inset 

Diamonds, Rubies and Sapphires, 

Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas; 
Skelton Harrison. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUA/[ 




Necklace. 
Gold chain with small diamonds, rubies and emeralds, and two superb emerald and diamond 

pendent beetles. 
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Skelton Harrison. 

are incrusted in the top section of the wings. The bird holds in each of his 
golden talons a drooping lotus. 

Altogether these handsome objects will prove of greatest use to students 
as models to imitate. They are stunning accessions to the collection at Memorial 
Hall, where in due course of time they will be placed on view. 

S. Y. S. 



HALF SUIT OF ARMOR OF THE LATE SIXTEENTH CENTURY 

Among the objects recently acquired by purchase by the Museum, is a half 
suit of armor, probably of German origin and dating towards the end of the 
sixteenth century, possibly 1580. At this time firearms took their place among 
■weapons of offense, and armor being no longer proof against the lead of the 
arquebus, it was gradually discarded as there was a natural objection to its 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 




Half Suit of Armor. 

Probably German, c. 1590. 

By purchase, from the Price Collection. 



10 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

weight. Gustavus Adolphus was so strongly opposed to the ancient defensive- 
equipment that he removed every part except the body armor — the breast and 
back plates, which were still effective against the thrust of the sword or other 
steel weapons, and in no way impeded the movements of the wearer. 

It remained in use probably longer in France than in any other country. 
Louis XIII, a jealous defender of the old system, promulgated several edicts 
against its abolishment, as he considered its use as one of the requisites to a 
mounted nobility. Even to the time of his death (1643) the Black "Mousque- 
taires' ' of his house wore in the field complete armor, excepting the greaves which 
were replaced by large boots, and an iron cap with a nasal piece. This armor 
was black with gilded rivet heads, and one still exists in the Musee de Pierrefonds. 
The peaceful disposition of James I caused that sovereign to retain the use of 
armor during his reign and he is said to have observed "that he could not but 
greatlv praise armor, as it not only protected the wearer, but also preserved 
him from injuring the other person." 

In connection with this, it may be stated that there is authority for the 
fact that men at thirty years of age became partially deformed or physicalh^ 
incapacitated for bearing the weight of armor, from having habitually worn it. 
The present half suit is composed of the following pieces: An open casque, 
or burgonet, so called from having appeared during the Burgundian wars, with 
a low comb and an umbril or shade for the eyes ; cheek pieces hinged at the sides 
and held together b}- a strap, and plate at back conforming to the outline of the 
neck. This style of helmet was based on classic models and the headpiece most 
commonly worn by the arquebusiers, but sometimes also by mounted officers, 
when it was usually provided with a falling bevor or \risor made of laminated 
steel plates. 

The breastplate has a ridge or "tapul" down the center with a marked 
projection near the lower edge. From its resemblance to a pea-shell, this form 
has been called the "pea's pod" breastplate. The back plate is formed to fit 
the shoulder blades, and is attached to the breastplate with straps and buckles. 
The patddrons, or shoulder defenses, are composed of seven laminated plates 
on each shoulder and are strapped to a gorget; while the plates of the tassets, 
eight in number, reach below the knee, the last plate acting as a knee cap. This- 
particular suit is made of excellent steel and is in admirable condition. 

C. S. 



TWO VALUABLE JAPANESE BRONZE FIGURES 

Count Daniele Pecorini-Manzoni, who, in No\'ember last, visited this city^ 
where he has relatives, before returning to Rome, left on loan with the Museum, 
two handsome Japanese bronze figures fifteen inches high. They are of remark- 
ably fine bronze and of exquisite workmanship, being inlaid in fine designs in gold 
and silver, altogether of fine qualit)^ Although he li\'ed for some fifteen years in 
China, where he occupied some official position in the ser\dce of his govern- 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



11 




Japanese Bronze Figures. 

Inlaid in gold and silver. 

Once the property of Prince Danilo of Montenegro. 

Loaned by Count Daniele Pecorini-Manzoni. 



12 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

mcnt, Count Pecorini did not obtain the figures in the East. He purchased 
them in Rome from Prince Danilo of Montenegro, who had obtained them by 
gift or inheritance from his fatlier, who had received them as a gift from some 
Chinese or Japanese personage. 

Tlie figures are in the Museum for one year, or until the Count returns to 
this countrj^ where he comes from time to time with his American wife, who was 
Miss Bucknell, a sister of Mrs. Samuel Price Wetherill, Jr., and a half-sister 
of Mrs. Craige Lippincott. 

S. Y. S. 



REMOVAL TO THE PARKWAY 

A move of the greatest significance to the future of the Pennsylvania 
Museum and School of Industrial Art, more so, perhaps, than any that has been 
made since it was first opened in modest rented quarters in 1877, was taken 
when the petition of the trustees that a suitable site for the much-needed new 
building might be allotted to it on the Parkway was definitely granted by the 
Commissioners of Fairmount Park December 13, 1916. 

The plot of ground so allotted contains approximately 100,000 square 
feet, and has a frontage on the Fairmount Plaza of some 600 feet. The signifi- 
cance of its allotment to this institution is by no means limited to the advantages 
to the institution of thus securing a new and commodious location. The action of 
the Commissioners in granting this site for this purpose is really a feature — a 
culminating feature, it is true, but still a feature — of a comprehensive plan for 
the creation, at the head of the Parkway, of a real Art Center for Philadelphia, 
more imposing in scale and more impressive in its entire effect than any similar 
center possessed by any American city. 

The central and dominant feature of the Parkway, as planned by the Fair- 
mount Park Art Association in 1907, and approved by the City Government in 
1909, was this Art Center, of which a Municipal Art Museum, located on the 
site of the old Fairmount reservoir, should constitute the central feature, the 
other art institutions of the city to occupy buildiiigs of their own fronting on the 
Plaza in which the Parkway ends at the foot of the hill. It was a magnificent 
project, for the launching of which the highest praise is due to the trio of experts, 
Horace Trumbauer, Paul Cret, and Clarence C. Zantzinger, employed by the 
Fairmount Park Art Association to design the Parkway; to the Association for 
the untiring activity with which it has advocated and advanced the ideals 
which it embodies ; and especially to the city government which accorded to the 
plans, as published by the Association, an early acceptance that has been con- 
sistently followed by most cordial and generous support. 

The whole project is rapidly approaching realization. All the properties 
necessary for its construction have been acquired by the city, and its physical 
completion within two years is now assured. The design for the great Art 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 13 

Gallery has been made the subject of the most careful and competent study, 
now practically completed, and $1,800,000 appropriated by the city is already 
available for beginning its erection. 

The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts filed in November its petition 
for a site for a new building such as the comprehensive plans contemplated, 
which was promptly granted by the Commissioners, and now that similar action 
has been taken in the interest of the Pennsylvania Museum and School of 
Industrial Art, there seems to be no reason why a project which is so certainly- 
fraught with the most alluring promises of future usefulness for this institution, 
and of the increased importance of the part it is destined to play in the intellectual 
life of the city, should not be promptly and triumphantly realized. 

L. W. M. 



SCHOOL NOTES 

The annual meeting of the Alumni Association of the Pennsylvania Museum, 
and School of Industrial Art was held Saturday evening, December 9th, in the 
auditorium of the School. In addition to the regular business, a resolution was 
passed expressing the Association's strong feeling in regard to the placing of 
the School on the Parkway, plans for which from the Park Commission prints- 
were shown to the members. An enthusiastic approbation was given, and the 
Association hopes to further the attainment of this object for its alma mater. 
After the meeting a series of living pictures was shown. The characters, taken 
by students, were entirely representative of periods of Italian Renaissance: 
Florentine, Venetian and Sienese; the costumes, made by the regular class, were 
copied faithfully from frescoes, portraits, and other paintings by masters of these 
epochs, Titian, Ghirlandajo, Raphael, Bronzino, Pinturicchio, etc. Appropriate 
music — piano, harp and voice — was given bj' Miss Mabel Bock, Miss Elizabeth 
Norris, and Mr. Thomas Moore Walton. Mr. B. Frank Jarrett, Jr., is the 
newly elected president. The Association has much planned for its new year's 
work, including exhibitions here and elsewhere. 

* * * 

The most recent exhibit shown was from Denison House, Boston, of the 
work of Italian, Syrian, Greek and Armenian craftsmen and craftswomen, in 
silver, leather, linen, silk embroideries, etc., from old designs copied in part from 
treasure pieces in palaces, museums and private collections in Europe and 
America. The exhibition was especially successful in the selling of the work. 

^ ^ ^ 

A very important exhibition was made at the request of and under the 
auspices of the Art Alliance of Philadelphia, with the idea of showing the develop- 
ment of the art teaching in the practical life of the business world, as demon- 
strated by the work of recently graduated students who have entered professional 



14 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

life. The collection was made as comprehensive as possible, and included 
Illustration,, Interior Decoration, Landscape Gardening, work in iron, silver and 
other metals (the display of jewelry' and enamels being particularly good), 
Pottery, Wood Car\'ing and the numerous kinds of smaller applications of the 
crafts. Informal addresses were given upon the subjects of Illustration, Con- 
structive Design, and Interior Decoration, by Mr. Oakley, Mr. Scott, and Mr. 
Copeland. The attendance at the exhibition was very satisfactory, and there 
was considerable sale of articles. Previous to this a large exhibition of costumes, 
more particularly in relation to pageantry, with many photographs and render- 
ings in color of schemes for these presentations, was shown at the exhibition 
of the National Society of Craftsmen, in New York City, and attracted a great 
deal of attention to this recently established department of the School. While 
for several years this work has been going on, it is only within the last three 
years that it has been given the consideration and opportunity to grow which 
it required, and the classes have now reached their limit in size. The work 
shown in New York was restricted to Italian, Persian and Egyptian. A large 
part of the exhibition was retained by request at some of the larger schools in 
the city, for several weeks, to enable the students to more fully become acquainted 
with it. 

^ ^ ^ 

The evening class in Typographical Design, tried as an experiment last 
year, is now an established course. This year's enrolment to date (October 27th) 
is twenty-six. Among those enrolled are: a publisher, an advertising manager 
of a nationally advertised article, several "layout" designers in large establish- 
ments, and seven apprentice compositors from the Curtis Publishing Company. 
'The course is attracting wide attention, as can be noted by letters of inquiry 
and offers of assistance, specimens, etc. Valuable assistance has been rendered 
by the Mergenthaler Linotype Company, New York; Lanston Monotype Com- 
pany, Philadelphia; i\merican Type Founders, Jersey City; Keystone Type 
Foundr^^ Philadelphia; Curtis Publishing Company, Philadelphia; Japan 
Paper Company, Philadelphia; and McGrath & Wood'ley Company, Boston. 

* * * 

Mrs. William T. Carter has renewed her prize offered last 3'ear in the 
•costume class, with the addition of a second premium. 

* * * 

Mr. George Walter Dawson has accepted the position on the ad\'isory 
•committee, vacant by the death of Mr. Henry Thouron. Mr. E. Lawrence Fell 
has also become a member of that body. 

* * * 

One of last year's pupils of the class in wrought iron, established by Mrs. 
John Harrison, has taken an abandoned blacksmith shop in his own neighbor- 
hood in Delaware, and started a class among the young farmers. He has now 
six men working with him, executing orders for fire sets, locks, hinges, etc., 
and has more orders than thej^ can fill. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



15 



ACCESSIONS 
October — December, 1916 



CLASS 



OBJECT 



•Ceramics 2 Pitchers, made bv William Ellis Tucker, Philadel- 
phia, c. 1830 

Pilgrim Bottle, by Fischer, Budapest, Hungary 

2 Pottery Plates and Porcelain Toby Jug, English. . . . 

13 Pieces of Indian Pottery 

Foot Bath. Flint Enamel Ware. Bennington, Vermont, 
1848-1853 

Maiolica Drug Jar, Spain, probablv Seville, c. 1750. . 

Plate, Porcelain, Worcester. England, 1788-1804 

2 Pottery Tiles, Biblical Scenes, Delft, Holland, 
Eighteenth Century 

Pottery Tureen, in Form of a Duck, French, Eigh- 
teenth Century 

2 Pieces of Pennsylvania-German Pottery, 1790-1805 

Furniture, Yoke for Hog, Old 

Woodwork Mahogany Table and Fire Screen, French, c. 1820. . . 
and Basketry Tea Caddy, Walnut. American 

3 Wicker Baskets, Old American 

2 Lacquer Stands for Vases 

13 Indian Baskets and Straw Mats 

Mahogany Table, Chippendale Style. England. 1750- 

1775 

Carving. "Christ before Pilate" 

Sofa. Mahogany. Upholstered in Black Hair-cloth, 

Duncan Phyfe Style, American, 1810-1820 

Spinet, Italian 

2 Wardrobes, Pennsylvania-German, Dated 1775 and 

1794 



HOW ACQUIRED 



■Glassware 



■Goldsmith's 
and Silver- 
smith's 
Work 



Laces 



Metalwork 



Given by Mrs. Seth I. Comly. 
Given by Mrs. H. Kent Day. 
Given by Mrs. John Harrison. 
Lent by the School of Industrial Art. 



By Purchase. 



Given by Mrs. William Frishmuth. 
Given by Mrs. John Harrison. 

> Given by Mrs. Susan G. MacFarland. 

Given by Miss Frances A. Roberts. 
Lent by the School of Industrial Art. 

Lent by Mr. Cornelius Stevenson. 
Given by Mr. Jacob Teamer. 



Large Green Glass Mug with Pressed Design 

2 Bottles. Intaglio Designs, American 

Bottle, Masonic Designs, American, c. 1840 

.3 Colored Glass Bottles. American. 1825-1840 

Cut Glass Wine Glass and 2 Tumblers, made by John 

and Craig Ritchie, Wheeling. Virginia. 1834 

Decanter, Diamond Pattern, U. S., c. 1825 

, 5 Pieces of Glassware, made by Henry William Stiegel. 

Manheim, Pa., 1765-1774 

Covered Bowl and Tray, Bristol, Dated 1812 

4 Wine Glasses, England, Eighteenth Century 

Silver Sugar Tongs, probably American 

1 Pair of Emerald and Diamond Ear-Drops 

I Gold Eye-Glass Case, Set with Sapphires, Rubies and 
Diamonds. Blue Stone Scarab on Front 

Pair of Turkish Zarfs, Set with Jewels 

Chatelaine with Five Pendants 

3 Finger Rings and a Breast Plate, Silver, Navajo 
Indian 

9 Pieces of Old Mexican Silver 

Black Lace Shawl, AU-Over Design, bought in Ant- 
werp, c. 1860 



2 Bronze Figures. Japanese, Eighteenth Century 

Amulet, Worn on the Forehead of a Horse, English, 
Nineteenth Century 

Half Suit of Armor, probably German, c. 1580 

15 Pieces of Japanned Tinware, Pennsylvania-Ger- 
man, Mid-Nineteenth Century 

Stove, Iron, Dated 1756, Pennsylvania-German 

4 Stove Plates, Pennsylvania-German 

Toy Rattle. Tin. American, Old 



[ By Purchase. 



Given by Mrs. John Harrison. 

Given by Mrs. Susan G. MacFarland. 



> Bv Purchase. 



Given by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 

} Given by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Skelton 
Harrison. 

Given by Miss Frances A. Roberts. 

Lent by the School of Industrial Art. 
Lent by Rev. WiUiam Watson. 

Given by Mr. A. L. Kaub in memory 
of his wife. 

Lent by Count Daniele Pecorini. 



By Purchase. 



16 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



ACCESSIONS.— Continued. 



CLASS 


OBJECT 


HOW ACQUIRED 


Statuary- 
Textiles 


Figure of St. Elizabeth. Stone, Forgery made in Dijon, 
France 

Umbrella. Ivory Handle. Whale-Bone and Brass 
Frame Covered with Green Silk, English, c. 1825. . 

Coverlet, Xame "Esther Kirtland" and Date ''1768" 


Given by Mr. Jacques Seligraann. 

Given by Mr. Samuel B. Dean 
(Through Mrs. John Harrison). 


Miscellaneous 


Bonnet. Fancy Straw Braid. U. S 

Calash, made of Green Silk. U. S.. Old 

2 Navajo Saddle Blankets 

2 Dolls 

Red Leather Slippers, Grecian 

Collections of 46 Objects, including Pottery, Porce- 
lain, Glass. Metalwork and Woodwork 

Collection of 8 Objects, including Indian Bead Neck- 
laces, Bone Carving, Reed Flute, etc 

5 Notes of The Camden & Woodbury Railroad & 
Transportation Co 

Toy Figure, in Form of Soldier, American, Old 


Given by Mrs. C. B. Lea. 
Given by Miss Sarah Haynes Res. 
Lent by the School of Industrial Art. 
Lent by Miss Mary E. Sinnott. 
Given by Mrs. Jones Wister. 

Given by Mr. and Mrs. John Brock. 

Lent by the School of Industrial Art. 

Given by Mrs. Jones Wister. 
By Purchase. 



PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 

MUSEUM COMMITTEE 

John Story Jenks, Chairman Mrs. W. T. Carter 

Thomas Skelton Harrison Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 

John H. McFadden Mrs. John Harrison 

John D. McIlhenny Mrs. Edward T. Stotesbury 

John W. Pepper Edgar V. Seeler 

Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg, Ex-Officio 

Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson, Assistant Curator and Lecturer 

HONORAST CURATORS 

Textiles, Lace and Embroidery Mrs. John Harrison 

Oriental Pottery Mrs. Jones Wister 

European Porcelain Rev. Alfred Duane Pell 

Anns and Armor Cornelius Stevenson 

Furniture and Woodwork Gustav Ketterer 

Musical Instruments Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 

Numismatics F. D. Langenheim 

Sculpture, Marbles and Casts Alexander Stirling Caldbr 

instruction committee 

Theodore C. Search, Chairman Mrs. P. K. Hipple 

Charles Bond Miss Nina Lea 

Mrs. John Harrison Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs 

Thomas Skelton Harrison Mrs. Thomas Roberts 

John Story Jenks Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 

John D. McIlhenny Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 

Edgar V. Seeler Mrs. John Wister 

James F. Sullivan Mrs. Jones Wister 
William Wood 

Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg, Ex-Officio 

associate commtttbe of women to the board of trustebs 

President 
Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg 

First Vlce-Presldeiit Second Vice-President 

Miss Nina Lea Countess Santa Eulalia 
Secretary Treasurer 

Mrs. Henry S. Grove Mrs. Joseph P. Sinnott 

Mrs. Edwin Swift Balch Mrs. W. W. Gibbs Mrs. Thornton Oakley 

Mrs. Jasper Yeates Brinton Mrs. John Harrison Mrs. Percival Roberts, Jr. 

Mrs. John H. Brinton Mrs. C. Leland Harrison Mrs. Thomas Roberts 

Mrs. William T. Carter Miss M. S. Hinchman Miss Mary E. Sinnott 

Miss Margaret Clyde Mrs. P. K. Hipple Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 

Mrs. Henry Brinton Coxe Mrs. J. L. Ketterlinus Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson 

Miss Ada M. Crozer Mrs. Robert R. Logan Mrs. Edward T. Stotesbury 

[ Mrs. David E. Dallam Mrs. Howard Longstreth Mrs. William H. Walbaum 

['' Miss Cornelia L. Ewing Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs Mrs. A. B. Weimer 

Mrs. George Harrison Frazier Mrs. James Mifflin Mrs. John Wister 

Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth Mrs. Francis F. Mh-ne Mrs. Jones Wister 

honorary member 
Usa. U. Hauiton Tooo